Thursday, May 3, 2007

Flash in Ubuntu

Okay, Feisty's been out for more than two weeks now and I finally bit the bullet and did a clean install from a Dapper system.

How is it so far? News apps. New looks. My MSI S270 lappie sports an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M video but I'm experiencing plenty of "White Screen of Death".I go through the same on Dapper but it seems that it happens more often on Feisty. I'm not using ATI's proprietary driver and I'm considering it if it would make my system more stable.

I also decided that I want support Adobe's Macromedia Flash in my 64-bit Ubuntu, which has been a bit of a disappointment since I started using Ubuntu 5.10. Thankfully, I stumbled into Swfdec, which promises open-source flash support! Oh goody!

I tried the repositories. No pre-packaged swfdec yet. Sigh.

So, I downloaded the sources and installed them. No problems there. From a terminal window, I did the following:

(I had to install the build-essential before you can build this app from the sources. You would also need the following libraries: autoconf, automaken, gcc, g++, libglib2.0-dev, libgnomevfs2-dev, libgstreamer0.10-dev, libgtk2.0-dev, libasound2-dev, liboil0.3-dev, libmad0-dev, libavcodec-dev, firefox-dev and libpango1.0-dev )

$ wget http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/download/swfdec/0.4/swfdec-0.4.4.tar.gz
$ tar zxvf swfdec-0.4.4.tar.gz
$ cd swfdec-0.4.4
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ cd ..
$ wget http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/download/swfdec-mozilla/0.4/swfdec-mozilla-0.4.4.tar.gz
$ tar zxvf swfdec-mozilla-0.4.4.tar.gz
$ cd swfdec-mozilla-0.4.4
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

Now, we need to tell Firefox where to look for this plugin

$ cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so

If you don't have a plugin folder, just do:
mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins
Now, did it work for me? Yes and No.

It works for some flash sites (say, YouTube) but crashes on some (like Speedtest.) Well, better than nothing , right?

Oh, by the way, I'm only installing it for Firefox, I want to keep my primary browser, Epiphany, lean and mean.

No comments: