Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Playing with MyDestiny

I decided to finally end my wait for a broadband connection.

I've been waiting for Innove/Globelines to upgrade their DSL facilities in the area for the last 8 months but it never happened. My fingers got permanently crossed doing it.

The decision to go with MyDestiny, a cable ISP was done with some trepidation. I've heard the local horror stories about MyDestiny cable users and, well, I'm really a happy subscriber of Globe and expect their sister company, Innove, to be just as good. (That's despite the horror stories about Globe DSL users.)

I found an agent from TPC offering MyDestiny summer promo. 599 for the first two months, 999 afterwards, with an 8-month lock-in period. After a few days of exchanging mail, I decided to take a gamble and sent a go ahead for a Thursday installation. That was a Sunday.

He confirmed the request and informed me that I should expect a call from MyDestiny to confirm the installation schedule. Wednesday arrived and there were still no calls. I called the agent and asked for an explanation. He told me that he's going to get in touch with MyDestiny and they'd call me up.

After a few minutes, a person from MyDestiny, who introduced herself as Dyra called to tell me that they can't do it on Thursday, and inquired if I could move it to Friday. Fine, I said. I was told that I should wait all day because they can't say what time the installers can come in (What the f!! Apparently, local companies are alien to the idea that time is gold.)

4.30pm, Friday. I've been waiting all day and it's already close to 5pm and I still haven't heard from MyDestiny, despite calling them earlier at 2pm to re-confirm the schedule.

11am, Sunday. Installer came knocking to the door. I asked them why they're doing it on a Sunday. The tech said they've been busy. (And I'm not?). They checked out the apartment building and I was told that they can't do the installation because our building uses conduit-type system to distribute cable signals in the apartments.

I contacted the agent and he told me that he talked to a manager to prioritize my installation. And the installers would be their in-house technicians, not the contractors, like those who came by last Sunday. He even cc'd me an email about this exchange.

Monday, 4.30pm. Still no installers. I called MyDestiny and talked to a coordinator who introduced himself as Floyd. They told me to expect the installers tomorrow, and that they've forwarded the job order with a memo from the manager to prioritize my call.

Tuesday, 5pm. I told Floyd that I want my installation done by 11am tomorrow. If they can't do it by then, cancel my installation request.

Wednesday, 11.10am. Installers come a-knocking.

So, ten days of waiting finally ends here. I'm crossing my fingers and see what MyDestiny will bring.

No comments: