Thursday, June 21, 2007

Playing with Google Calculator

(Hmmm ... now the interface is back to English whereas yesterday it was in Filipino - and I didn't modify any settings)

Anyway, if you're like me, I sometimes take advantage of the fact that Google can also perform calculator functions. Instead of pulling up the Calculator app in my computer, I just type in the calculation in the search bar of my browser. This feature is not apparent to most users but I really find it very useful.

For example, if you want to quickly add something, just try inputting this on the Google search form and hit the enter key. (Click on the image to view in full size)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

What's interesting is that you can perform calculations using words instead of signs.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


I also use it for other conversions. For example,
  • Foreign currency, using ISO codes to convert 3,400 euros to Philippine Pesos. 3,400 Euros to PHP
  • Metric to English (or vice versa): 6 feet 3 inches to centimeters
  • In the kitchen: 1 cup in teaspoons
  • Percentages: 15% of 344,343.2
  • Exponentation: 4^78 (or 4 raised to the 78th power)
  • Volume: 1 gallon to liters

And finally, are you seeking for the answer to life, the universe, and everything ? Try it in the google search box and let Google do its job (Hint: use the text in bold).

So, there. It's 42. I'm now at peace with myself.

No comments: