Sunday, May 6, 2012

xubuntu 12.04 - 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

It took me two long days to get Xubuntu 12.04 installed in my computer. I burned myself a live disc and reformatted the OS partition of drive, but in the middle of the installation I found my copy faulty, and I ended with no operating system, except for a live CD and a home partition I couldn't access because I had it encrypted.


I went through my old stack of live CDs, trying to get a copy of a live CD I could use to burn myself a new copy. The thumb drives I tried wasn't working, too. It was so frustrating I gave myself two days break from the computer.


Anyway, I was trying to choose between super-light Lubuntu or Xubuntu but decided to ditch LXDE as I'm more used to XFCE, having used it for so long now.


The new Xubuntu UI is polished and clean and so far the only thing I hate is that I couldn't put my computer on hibernate - like I've always done before. So, after so many years of never having to shutdown a computer, I'm now forced to do without it.


I hope the Xubuntu devs are working on a fix. Come on. I had hibernate/suspend working on 6.04, 7.04, 8.04, 10.04 and now that we're on 12.04 you decide that this "feature" is important since it doesn't work on most new systems anyway? What a cop out. 


Anyway, try this recipe and see if you can convince the gnomes in your computer to make it work.


P.S.
I finally got it to work. There seems to be an issue with encrypted swap drives and the default configuration.

No comments: